How to Secure Artificial Plants in Pots and Decorate Your Home With Silk Plants
How to Secure Artificial Plants in Pots and Decorate Your Home With Silk Plants
A few traditional items like chandeliers, paintings and books remain common for home decoration, but, these days, people are moving towards a more natural-looking interior and decorating with plants. Although maintaining real plants indoors when you have a busy schedule isn't always feasible, silk plants and trees can be used as great alternatives for decorating your home's space.
Artificial Plants for Home Decoration
Technology has made it possible to recreate silk versions of real plants to add to homes for decoration. From ferns and ivy vines to succulents and bushes, there are a variety of artificial plants and trees to decorate with.
Besides the aesthetic enhancement that silk plants and trees provide, there are many other reasons why so many homeowners use them, such as:
- Faux potted plants don't release pollens or other allergens.
- Artificial plants and trees are good for homes with pets that like to chew on things.
- Fake potted plants can be placed in rooms that don't get enough sunlight without the fear of them dying.
- Artificial plants and trees are a great option for people who don't know much about gardening or don't have the time to do it.
- Silk plants and trees are affordable options compared to maintaining a garden of real plants as they don't require regular maintenance.
Because they feature realistic color and texture, you can transform the space within or outside your home by potting fake plants. In this step-by-step guide, we'll show you how to secure artificial plants in pots and bring new life to your home decor with fake potted plants.
Why Planters are Important for Potting Fake Plants
You may spend a considerable amount of time, money, and energy while choosing the most gorgeous silk plants or trees for your home. But, if you don't know how to pot artificial plants in a proper planter, all of your efforts will be for nothing.
Most people consider using old bottles and other discarded containers when planting artificial plants. However, the function of a great planter goes beyond simply holding the plant.
Whether you're going with an antique look or a more contemporary design for your home, Silks Are Forever has thousands of planters available in all sizes, styles and shapes for your artificial plants.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Pot Artificial Plants
After you select the silk plant and planter of your choice, it's time to put the two pieces together for the final product. Learning how to secure artificial plants in pots is fairly simple, but if you run into trouble, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Silk trees and plants generally come in one of the following three forms:
- In a starter pot
- On a spike
- Pre-potted in a planter
Situation 1: If You Get a Starter Pot
Starter pots are made to function as a solid base and ensure that each plant is not overly heavy, so artificial plants may not look stable or attractive when they first arrive.
To secure your faux potted plants, you will need sand or mud, decorative slate, stones or bark and a planter that's larger than the original starter pot. The general size recommended for the planter is as follows:
- Up to 8" in diameter for plants that are up to 4 feet in height
- 12" in diameter for every 4 feet of height (8' tree = up to 24" planter)
Here are a few simple instructions to follow while potting fake plants in a planter:
- Clear the foliage according to the height of your planter. Prefill the pot if your planter is deep.
- Place your silk plant in the central part of the pot. There's no need to take it out of the starter pot because it will serve as the base. If you like the height of the plant, fill the area around the starter pot with mud or sand. If you need to move the silk plant frequently, consider buying a wheeled planter or use polystyrene chunks instead of mud or sand.
- Choose a decorative topping like decorative stones, bark or artificial moss and adorn the silk plant with it.
Situation 2: If You Get Your Artificial Plants on a Spike
Some artificial plants or trees arrive on a wire or plastic spike to make it easier to place them in a vase or line them over the window ledge. To guarantee that your fake potted plants remain securely in place, you'll need the following items to help.
- A hanging basket, plant pot or trough
- Foam oasis
Here are some simple tips for potting fake plants that are on a spike:
- Measure the size of your container beforehand to avoid any complications.
- Cut the foam oasis to a size that is slightly larger than the container.
- Place the oasis in the container. If it crumbles a little on its sides while you press it down into the container, that's a sign that the oasis will be snug and not move around easily.
- Cover the foam oasis and fill any gaps with sand or gravel.
- Place the spike into the foam oasis.
Some homeowners who have used spikes to hold their faux potted plants recommend using plenty of flowers in arrangements for a luxurious and fuller appearance.
Situation 3: If You Get Pre-Potted Silk Plants and Trees
Some artificial plants and trees come in ready-to-place pots. Some examples of pre-potted planters include patio planters, window boxes, and hanging baskets.
How Do You Shape Silk Plants and Trees?
When your silk plants or trees are delivered, you'll notice that some of the leaves are bent due to the packaging. Don't worry because those leaves can be restored. In some cases, you can steam the leaves to bring plants back to their original state. To do this, set your plants in the bathroom and turn your shower to the hottest level for some time until the folds or creases in the leaves seem to disappear. You can even use a clothes steamer as an alternative to this technique, but avoid holding the steamer very close to the leaves as their color might fade or you could possibly scorch them.
To make entire silk trees or plants look natural, you can follow the directional shaping method to achieve maximum fullness and enhance the realistic appeal of your artificial plants. Start from the main stem or trunk of the silk tree and work slowly to the end of the branch. You can create a slightly downward curve by gently bending the stem on the lower fronds upwards towards the top fronds. A naturally full look will result even when you stagger the tips of the branches around the plant's trunk.
How to Breathe Life Into Your Home With Artificial Plants
Silk flowers, plants, and trees are an easy and affordable way to bring color and texture to your home's space without undergoing the hassle of caring for real plants. To get the best out of using fake potted plants, here are a few tips to consider:
Keep Your Decor in Mind
Before planting artificial plants, know what will suit your home's inner and outer decor. Look around your home carefully. Are there empty corners? How do your ledges, tabletops, and counters look? You should choose faux potted plants that blend seamlessly into your existing decor or simply adds to its accents.
Be Realistic as Possible
Although you are using artificial plants, it doesn't mean that they can't look real. One good way to make fake potted plants look real is by ditching gaudy containers and replacing them with well-designed planters. Use real dirt and accessories and place your plant in a spot where a real plant could thrive. This will truly make a difference in the way you decorate your home.
Consider Frequent Clean-ups
Last but not least, keep your silk flowers, plants, and trees as clean as possible. Dust and other contaminants can build on them and spoil their quality and ruin their aesthetics. When you clean your artificial plants, you must avoid soaking them because doing so will ruin the plant. Spritz the dirty areas with water or a specialty cleaner and wipe them clean quickly and carefully.
Find A Wide Selection of Quality Artificial Plants at Silks Are Forever
If you're ready to start decorating your home with lovely fake potted plants and silk flowers, you can find a vast selection of artificial plants in our online store. From ferns to artificial trees, our collection can help you transform your home into an oasis of beauty. Browse our assortment of artificial plants today and contact our friendly, expert team if you have any questions!